Michael A. Abel
Founder – Partner
Mike Abel is an experienced Florida trial attorney who concentrates his practice in the representation of both corporate and individual clients in wide ranging business disputes. For more than 25 years, Mike has handled and managed complex civil litigation in both state and federal courts, as well as in alternative dispute resolution forums. His specialized areas of practice include: Civil Litigation, Commercial Litigation, Corporate Litigation, Real Estate Litigation, Trust and Estate Litigation, and Local Counsel Services as well as Fractional General Counsel Services to companies and organizations throughout Jacksonville and Northeast Florida.
Mike and his family have been an active part of the Jacksonville community since moving from Virginia in 1995. Mike is an avid runner who has completed many half and full marathons, which is no small feat given his advancing age. He is also active in the bar and the community, having recently served as President of the Jacksonville Chapter of the Federal Bar Association and on several Jacksonville-based non-profit boards. In 2014, Florida Governor Rick Scott appointed Mike to serve on the Judicial Nominating Commission for the Fourth Judicial Circuit where he currently serves as Vice Chair.
Mike is also passionate about providing pro bono legal services to those in the community who may have difficulty accessing the legal system. He has been recognized by several organizations, including the American Bar Association for providing pro bono legal services to active duty men and women serving in the armed forces.
- University of Virginia, B.A.
- University of Virginia School of Law, J.D.
- Virginia – 1991
- Florida – 1996
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- All State Courts in Virginia
- All State Courts in Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida
Honors & Awards:
- The Best Lawyers in America guide, Transportation Law, 2007-2016, Commercial Litigation, 2017
- Client Service All-Star, The BTI Consulting Group, Inc., 2017
- Jacksonville Magazine, Best Jacksonville Lawyers, 2007-2017
- ABA Military Pro Bono Project Outstanding Services Award, 2012, 2014
- Merit Selection Panel, United States District Court, Middle District of Florida, 2014-2015
- Fourth Circuit Judicial Nominating Commission, 2014-present
- Federal Bar Association, Jacksonville Chapter, Immediate Past President; Board Member, 2009-2016
- Grievance Committee, United States District Court, Middle District of Florida, 2013-present
- Jewish Federation of Jacksonville, Board Member, 2012-2016
- Jacksonville Country Day School, Board of Trustees, 2005-2011; Development Committee, Chair, 2007-2009
- The Florida Bar, Fourth Judicial Circuit Grievance Committee, 2005-2007